Tuesday 16 September 2008

More changes!

So after having installed Ubuntu 8.04 from scratch on my desktop and solving all my problems it was time to solve all my eeepc's problems! Step up to the mark EEEbuntu a version of Ubuntu 8.04 designed solely for use on the eeepc. The version I'm using is the Netbook Remix edition. Just going to start installation now... Wish me luck!

[edit] The installation went flawlessly and even preserved my original home directory! The Netbook Remix user interface is so sleek and very user friendly.
Boot takes 50 to 60 seconds! My wifi is picked up on boot rather that 47 seconds later as with Xandros. I've got CPU scaling, something which I never thought about but I'm sure will help my battery life. Sound, function keys, Wireless all works and my battery meter is finally giving me sensible estimates as apposed to "you have 1 minute of battery left (100%)". The UME launcher is a god send and I can finally use Tomboy which I was unable to install on Xandros due to my screwing up of synaptic :-s

All in all I'm very happy with the distro and the support on the Eeebuntu forums appears to be as good as Ubuntu's own forums.

No comments: